The Western Michigan University Football Team wraps up its 2013 home schedule on Saturday at high noon as the Central Michigan University Chippewas travel to Waldo Stadium for the 84th matchup between the two in-state rivals. WMU (1-9, 1-5 MAC) is coming off a 35-32 overtime defeat from EMU last weekend, while CMU (2-7, 2-3) lost 44-24 at Ball State. The Broncos have won the last two matchups for The Battle of the Cannon, and holds a 45-36-2 advantage in the all-time series. If WMU wins, this will be the first three game winning streak over the Chips since 2001-03.
Five Keys to Victory
1. Get the ball to Davis – There hasn’t been a better story this season than that of Corey Davis. The true freshman wide receiver has already set the WMU freshman receiving record for yards (873) and 100-yard receiving games(5) and is on pace to become just the fourth freshman in Mid-American Conference history to reach 1,000 yards in a season. Davis and quarterback Zach Terrell have become an excellent QB/WR duo and will need to continue their recent success.
2. Keep the ball away from Davis – No I didn’t just contradict myself. Corey Davis’ older brother Titus is the leading receiver for CMU, averaging the second most receiving yards per game in the MAC.
3. Score in the red zone – Last week against EMU, Broncos kicker Andrew Haldeman successfully made all six field goals attempts which is great, but if just one of those field goals could have been turned into a touchdown the Broncos would have won.
4. Protect the ball – It’s no big secret that the team that usually wins the turnover battle will end up winning the game. The Broncos have turned the ball over 11 more times than its opponents this season. CMU isn’t much better, turning the ball over six more times than its opponents.
5. Win the time of possession battle – At this point in the season all teams are battling the injury bug, but no time seems have been hit harder by it than the Broncos. Their defense is thin, especially on the defensive line. Keeping the offense on the field for as long as possible will keep the defense fresh for what should be a battle from the opening kickoff to the final seconds.
Prediction: WMU 27 CMU 26