BUTLER TOWNSHIP FIRE, MI (WTVB) - A Butler Township woman escaped without injury early today after the home where she lives alone in Branch County was gutted by fire. It was 3:20 this morning when the Quincy Fire Department was called by Central Dispatch to respond to what was first described as a chimney fire at the Catherine Tucker residence at 921 Clarendon Road.
Quincy Fire Chief Kurt Barve said the smoke woke up Tucker and she ran over to her son’s home next door to call for help and when the two of them went back to her house, it was completely filled with heavy smoke. Barve said the flames from the wood burner chimney then spread quickly and because of the add-ons through the years to the 2-story structure, firefighters had to, for safety sake, evacuate the home and take a defensive stand on battling the blaze. They had the fire under control by 6:30. The residence is located just south of Butler Road on Clarendeon. Assisting Quincy were the Coldwater, Allen, Litchfield, and Homer Fire Departments.