On Air Now

Listen

Listen Live Now » 98.5 FM Battle Creek, Michigan

Weather

Current Conditions(Battle Creek,MI 49017)

More Weather »
35° Feels Like: 26°
Wind: S 13 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip

Tonight

Partly Cloudy 32°

Tomorrow

Mostly Cloudy 63°

Fri Night

Showers Late 42°

Alerts

Infant dies in early morning apartment fire in Sturgis

by
Sturgis Fire Department Patch
Sturgis Fire Department Patch

Sturgis  (WKZO) -- The State Fire Marshal is investigatiing a fire at an apartment complex in Sturgis that has left an infant dead and a number of tenants temporarily homeless just before the holidays.

Deputy Chief David Ives says that the fire was reported in a second story apartment at Gateway Village at 5:37 Sunday morning.

He says the parents of the infant woke up to find their bed and hair. Both were taken to the hospital for treatment of burns, but are expected to survive.

The first responders were told that there was still an infant in the apartment. They went in and rescued the 11-month-old baby girl, and immediately began resuscitation efforts.

Paramedics took over after they arrived and transported the child, but the infant could not be revived, and was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

Occupants of the apartment building were evacuated to Sturges-Young Auditorium.

Some will be allowed to return to their apartments later today but others suffered smoke and fire damage, or now have no utilities, and eight families were told they will need to find alternative accommodations.

St. Joseph County Victim Services is assisting the displaced tenants.

Comments