KINDERHOOK TOWNSHIP, MI (WTVB) - A Branch County man was able to survive a fall and resulting fire at his home early today thanks in large part to an alert neighbor. The Sheriff’s Department says 49-year old Michael Drumm was carrying a window air conditioning unit when he slipped to the floor and wrenched his back in his one-story home on East Southern Road in Kinderhook Township. The fall happened not long after Drumm had started to cook a steak on his kitchen stove and he wasn’t able to crawl all the way to the stove to turn it off. The pan overheated and also caught a bag of chips on a nearby counter on fire.
A neighbor of Drumm happened to be outside for a cigarette break shortly after midnight and heard a smoke alarm and screams for help. She called 9-1-1 and when Sgt. Jim Holt arrived on scene, they were able to enter the residence, quickly extinguish the small blaze and get Drumm outside. There was still quite a bit of smoke in the home and the Lakeland Fire Department responded to finish up dousing the fire. Lifecare Ambulance transported Drumm to the Community Health Center of Branch County where he was treated and released.