On Air Now


Listen Live Now » 98.5 FM Battle Creek, Michigan


Current Conditions(Battle Creek,MI 49017)

More Weather »
65° Feels Like: 65°
Wind: SSE 10 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip


Clear 47°


Mostly Sunny 71°

Fri Night

Partly Cloudy 53°


Smoke detector helps Coldwater family escape blaze uninjured

COLDWATER, MI (WTVB) - A well placed smoke detector had a part in preventing what could have been a lot worse garage fire early today in Coldwater. The Fire Department was called out at 12:25 a.m. to the Jeff Parshall residence at 50 Sheridan Street and they found heavy smoke in the area when they arrived. However, the blaze was quickly extinguished and damage was limited to a small upper exterior portion of the attached garage and a second story attic area of the garage.

Fire officials say  the occupants of the home had moved a smoke detector from inside the dwelling to a spot in the garage. When it went off, they heard the alarm and got out with no injuries reported. A halogen light attached to the front of the garage had been covered over and when it was turned on it overheated and ignited the garage siding. Firefighters were on scene for about an hour.