NOBLE TOWNSHIP, BRANCH COUNTY, MI (WTVB) - A candle in a bedroom window is listed as the probable cause of a house fire early today in Branch County’s Noble Township while the property where the blaze was reported is also the site for an investigation of a suspected meth lab operation. Bronson Fire Chief Brent Wilber said a 6-year old girl and an 8-year old boy in the bedroom were safely rescued by their mother after a smoke detector went off when heavy smoke started to fill the room. Bronson and Orland, Indiana firefighters found flames showing from both bedroom windows and they had the blaze under control in less than 15 minutes after arriving on scene.
The alarm from 846 Greenfield Road was turned in shortly before 4 a.m. Fire damage was confined to the bedroom where the blaze ignited but there was moderate smoke and heat loss in other areas of the structure. A resident of the home said the candle was apparently knocked over by the wind and sparked the fire in a mattress.
Bronson firemen were on the job for 3-and-a-half hours while assisting in the investigation. Deputies said a number of occupants were questioned and various amounts of suspected meth was located along with components to make more drugs. No arrests have been made at this time. Wilber said arson is not suspected. The estimated loss was $10,000 to the home and $5,000 to the contents. The house is owned by a Howe, Indiana man while the listed occupants included Douglas Huey and several other renters.