THREE OAKS (WKZO) -- The four people who died inside a burning home in Three Oaks may have never had a chance.
Lt. Melinda Logan says the home on Elm St. had no working smoke detector. There was nothing to warn the occupants that the a slow burning fire was filling the home with toxic fumes while they slept.
The occupants were reportedly a retired firefighter and his family but their names have not been released.
The home was totally gutted.
Firefighters not only had to fight the heat and smoke, but the intense cold that froze everything on contact, and the emotions from knowing that one of their own had died inside.
The family pets also died in the fire. The cause remains under investigation.