GRAND RAPIDS (WKZO) -- A West Michigan man who ate microwave popcorn everyday for 20-years and contracted a rare disease because of it, has had his lawsuit reinstated by a federal judge in Grand Rapids.
David Stultz has “popcorn lung”, a rare disease that mostly had been contracted by popcorn factory workers who had been exposed to the chemical diacetyl, a flavor enhancer.
His suit against the manufacturer of the chemical was initially thrown out because it was filed more than 3-years after his exposure.
Stultz’s lawyer successful argued that they did not find out about the illness until years after, within the 3-years allowed.
The judge has put the suit back on the docket.
Stultz has apparnetly already settled with some of the popcorn firms over his illness.