UNDATED (WTVB) - In the wake of this week's severe storms many folks had to rely on generators for power and going forward, one fire safety group has a few warnings about the devices. Mike McLeieer, with the group ESCAPE, says that generators are a great thing to have, but you've got to observe some safety rules with them beginning with never, ever store them in the home, in the garage or an enclosed building.
McLeieer reminds us that carbon monoxide is a silent killer since we don’t know when an individual is poisoned while it attacks the very young and the very old. It means we need to have C-O alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, just like smoke alarms. McLeieer notes that a 12 year old boy in Indiana was killed by carbon monoxide coming from a generator just this week. His family had it in the basement, and thought that keeping the windows open would be enough ventilation. It wasn't.