MUSKEGON, MI (WTVB) - Dozens of visitors to Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon County got a scary ride they didn’t anticipate Friday afternoon, and it wasn’t on a roller coaster. It was a trip by ambulance to the hospital for emergency treatment for exposure to chlorine. A mistaken mix of pool chemicals used to keep the water in the Wave pool sanitary, somehow created a cloud of irritating gas that caused respiratory problems. Chris Dean with the Muskegon County Hazmat Unit says Lifegaurds knew what to do and did it before anyone suffered any real damage.
Four dozen swimmers were evacuated, many of which were taken to emergency rooms where they were treated and released. Others were just hosed off in a parking lot and checked for symptoms.
The park will reopen this morning.