BRANCH COUNTY (WKZO) -- Two off duty Branch County Deputies are getting the credit for an emergency rescue after they came upon the scene of an apparent natural gas explosion at a home at the corner of Marshall and Bidwell Roads just before noon on Monday.
Deputies Al Fleming and Greg Ware had to talk the shocked and dazed homeowner into leaving, despite the fact that flames were beginning to consume the house and that one side of the home had been blown out.
They rescued the man and his three dogs and even pulled his truck away from the burning home with their own vehicle when they couldn’t find the keys.
The homeowner did not require hospitalization.
Fleming and Ware say the intense heat melted their coats and shoes during the rescue.