DETROIT (WKZO) -- Officials now say contaminated ground beef from a Detroit packaging business was sold to the public. Nearly two-million pounds of beef products were recalled by Wolverine Packaging due to concerns of E. coli contamination.
The beef was sold to restaurant distributors but now officials say some of the beef was sold at Gordon Food Service stores. The Grand Rapids-based retailer has stores in nine states.
The contaminated beef was produced between March 31st and April 18th and has a packaging code of EST 2574B. Eleven people have been sickened by the beef nationwide including five in Michigan.