10 Reasons To Shop Local
Why shop at a locally owned business first? The following 10 reasons show how more money spent at local businesses is reinvested in your community creating diversity and helping the community maintain or create its unique appeal.
- 1. Shopping local creates jobs
- Shops in our town create local employment and self-employment. These people in turn spend in the local community.
- 2. Local independent shops invest more in our communities
- Local businesses are proportionately more generous in their support of local charities, schools and community events. Supporting local shops means a financial impact on your community.
- 3. Local shops sell a wide range of great products at affordable prices
- Many people fall out of the habit of shopping locally and are then surprised by the range of products and gifts available.
- 4. Shopping local saves you money
- Out of town shops have done a good job of convincing us that local business equals expensive. If you add travel, fees to transfer items and your time, the overall cost is often much higher.
- 5. Shopping local retains our communities
- People don’t like losing shops and services in small towns but don’t equate this to how they spend their money.
- 6. Shopping local retains our distinctiveness
- Independent shops create distinctive shopping experiences and stock different products. Local businesses respond quickly to the needs of local customers, stocking products to meet the changing population needs.
- 7. Shopping local saves the environment
- Local shops often stock a high percentage of local sourced goods which do not require long car and bus journeys, helping reduce our global footprint.
- 8. Local shops are for everyone
- Most people can get to their local shops easily and this is especially important for the elderly and young generations and those without transportation.
- 9. Local shops value you more
- Evidence from numerous surveys show people receive better customer care and service locally. These businesses survive by their reputation and repeat business, which means you get a higher standard of service.
- 10. Shopping local saves services
- Private and public sector services tend to cluster around shops. As shops disappear so do hairdressers, banks, restaurants, etc.
SO SHOP SMART. SHOP LOCAL.
Support Local Businesses
We encourage you to support our locally-owned businesses. The money you invest with them stays in our community. You'll enjoy top level service from entrepreneurs who have worked hard to build their companies.
Listen on-air and to our webcast for spotlights promoting our local businesses. Check out our business videos below.